E-Bike improvements

IMAG0210

It’s finally warm here in Canada and I have started to use my e-bike to go to work. I introduced some improvements to keep things tidy and easy to use.

Starting with my e-bike computer I used an old printer cable (with many cores) to re-wire the connection between the LCD screen and the main board. I also added a toggle switch that powers off the unit while I am at work or when the bike is not in use, avoiding battery draining.

IMAG0189

 

Everything looks so much tidier now!

I also re-wired the main board with 10AWG cables.

IMAG0211

 

The bike now uses the Hybrid battery (see previous post), 54V nominal and about 9.5Ah (with 7.5Ah of usable capacity to preserve cycle life). I was able to shrink wrap the battery in black PVC tubing, making it safer and more professional looking.The battery is secured to the frame with “backpack” straps.

IMAG0212

 

I am still working to improve the bike.

Next things to do:

  • Use the main battery to power up the e-bike computer (now is powered with an external battery)
  • Introduce a plug for recharging outside the wooden battery frame, weather insulated, and protected ( with a fuse).
  • Reduce the amount of wires.

 

I am also working on a “cell balancer”, I have done a few tests and I should be able to have a pcb ready for more testing next month..I will keep you posted!

 

 

New PCB is working!! Yay!! :)

Finally I had time to solder the components onto the PCB I ordered from China and got a bit of time to test it. Unfortunately when I designed the circuit I forgot a pull-up resistor and that made things harder because I had to do some debugging as nothing seemed to work at first. But not everything works great!

The values on the LCD are random because the sensors are not connected 🙂

I am looking forward to get some real data once I’ll test the PCB on the e-bike!

Another pic:

My PCB for Arduino E-Bike Computer :)

 

I have been busy recently and I didn’t have much time for my projects. In the meantime winter has come to Canada and I was forced to lock my bike in the garage (it has been snowing for about a week).

About a month ago I sent out an order for a PCB to a cheap Chinese manufacturer for my Arduino-based bicycle computer. This PCB is basically an Arduino without the usb interface and with some of the sensors integrated in the board. This way I can put the pcb close to the controller and have only a few wires around. This makes everything look tidy and minimizes the risks of shorts and damages to the board and/or other devices (es. bike controller).

 

The board is very small, smaller than a credit card!

In the next few days I am going to receive some components and do some testing  🙂

 

Arduino E-bike computer is alive!

In the last few days I made some improvements and changes to my arduino e-bike computer.

It displays various informations given from the sensors:
+Battery voltage
+Battery temperature
+Amps
+Watts
+Ah used (stored in eeprom)
+Speed in Kph
+Distance in Km (stored in eeprom)
+Km left with the current battery.

Pushing a button I can see the maximum values of the data.

Pushing another button the data stored in the eeprom can be reset to zero.

I want to thank my friend “Ccriss” for helping me (a lot) with the code!

Soon there will be other upgrades!