New Electric Bicycle. MKIII


Finally I found the time to write about my new electric bicycle!

This is my latest build and my best build so far.

As you can see from the photo, the bike has a small back wheel (20 inches), front suspensions, disk brakes and a central battery box that contains the battery (obviously), the controller and all the other connections (e-bike computer for example).

Here below I describe the process and all the modifications:

I started by buying a bicycle a few months back. I wanted something light and with front forks and disk brakes.


I bought the above bike for 250$, used and in excellent condition.

In the meantime I also got an used motor, a 9C9807. Originally the motor was laced in a 26-inches rim and had the hall sensors burnt.


I decided to use a sensorless controller, so I decided not to replace the hall sensors, but I replaced the original phase wires with 14AWG copper stranded wire as shown below.

Original wires (thin) vs new ones:




I decided to use a cheap sensorless controller, KU123 from BMSbattery. I upgraded the controller with 100V capacitors and IRFB4110 high quality mosfets to support battery voltages up to 100v. I also “beefed-up” the main power traces on the controller board to improve current flow on the traces.

Original controller:


High quality IRFB4110 mosfets:


Controller modified with new capacitors and mosfets. Please note that the capacitor legs do not touch and they are quite apart, it’s just a camera angle “optical illusion”.


Original board traces:


Traces “beefed-up”:


Then I got to work on the battery box. I wanted something better and larger than my previous bike, so I used a 11.5cm wide wooden board Β and built it. Photos are pretty much self explanatory.






Side covers:


I attached the battery box to the frame using zip ties. It holds really well.

Lastly I decided to lace the motor into a 20 inches rim,spokes in a radial pattern, which turned out to be a pretty good choice. The bike has very good torque and can handle steep hills without overheating the motor.



I also added an e-bike computer based on arduino to complete the job, so I have real time data on battery usage, speed, range left and so on:




E-Bike improvements


It’s finally warm here in Canada and I have started to use my e-bike to go to work. I introduced some improvements to keep things tidy and easy to use.

Starting with my e-bike computer I used an old printer cable (with many cores) to re-wire the connection between the LCD screen and the main board. I also added a toggle switch that powers off the unit while I am at work or when the bike is not in use, avoiding battery draining.



Everything looks so much tidier now!

I also re-wired the main board with 10AWG cables.



The bike now uses the Hybrid battery (see previous post), 54V nominal and about 9.5Ah (with 7.5Ah of usable capacity to preserve cycle life). I was able to shrink wrap the battery in black PVC tubing, making it safer and more professional looking.The battery is secured to the frame with “backpack” straps.



I am still working to improve the bike.

Next things to do:

  • Use the main battery to power up the e-bike computer (now is powered with an external battery)
  • Introduce a plug for recharging outside the wooden battery frame, weather insulated, and protected ( with a fuse).
  • Reduce the amount of wires.


I am also working on a “cell balancer”, I have done a few tests and I should be able to have a pcb ready for more testing next month..I will keep you posted!



New PCB is working!! Yay!! :)

Finally I had time to solder the components onto the PCB I ordered from China and got a bit of time to test it. Unfortunately when I designed the circuit I forgot a pull-up resistor and that made things harder because I had to do some debugging as nothing seemed to work at first. But not everything works great!

The values on the LCD are random because the sensors are not connected πŸ™‚

I am looking forward to get some real data once I’ll test the PCB on the e-bike!

Another pic:

My PCB for Arduino E-Bike Computer :)


I have been busy recently and I didn’t have much time for my projects. In the meantime winter has come to Canada and I was forced to lock my bike in the garage (it has been snowing for about a week).

About a month ago I sent out an order for a PCB to a cheap Chinese manufacturer for my Arduino-based bicycle computer. This PCB is basically an Arduino without the usb interface and with some of the sensors integrated in the board. This way I can put the pcb close to the controller and have only a few wires around. This makes everything look tidy and minimizes the risks of shorts and damages to the board and/or other devices (es. bike controller).


The board is very small, smaller than a credit card!

In the next few days I am going to receive some components and do some testing Β πŸ™‚


Arduino E-bike computer is alive!

In the last few days I made some improvements and changes to my arduino e-bike computer.

It displays various informations given from the sensors:
+Battery voltage
+Battery temperature
+Ah used (stored in eeprom)
+Speed in Kph
+Distance in Km (stored in eeprom)
+Km left with the current battery.

Pushing a button I can see the maximum values of the data.

Pushing another button the data stored in the eeprom can be reset to zero.

I want to thank my friend “Ccriss” for helping me (a lot) with the code!

Soon there will be other upgrades!

Bicycle computer is waterproof !!

Finally I put my bicycle computer into a waterproof box. I guess it’s not 100% waterproof but at least the computer will be safe and dry in case of light rain.

I used and electrical box for outdoor, designed to keep the receptacle protected from the weather. The Arduino, components and LCD screen fits perfectly in the box πŸ™‚

I still have lots of wires around, so it will be my next priority to make the handlebar a bit more nice and tidy πŸ™‚