E-bike goes 45 Kph!!

I recently purchased, at a great price, some “defective” battery packs used in power tools. The cells used for those batteries are Sony SE US18650VT, and they support a 10C (!) maximum discharge rate.

So I recovered some of those batteries and I made a new battery pack.

I then decided to make a 15s4p battery pack (55.5v 6Ah nominal) and test the performance on my e-bike.

The cells should be charged at 4.2 Volts, so the pack would read 63.0 Volts when fully charged. My controller has 63 Volts capacitors so to be safe I charged the battery to 61.5Volts.

It is highly recommended that you always check & double check the specifications and the components used in your controller to avoid any damage to components, bike and most importantly people (including you!).

So, after checking that everything was safe and that the batteries that I recovered were truly recovered I put the pack on the bike and went out for a ride.

I was truly amazed! The bike has a much quicker acceleration and reaches 42-45 kph (depending on incline and wind) very soon, I wish I could measure this acceleration in seconds to let you understand, maybe I will make a video.

Here some other data of the trip:

Average speed:

 

Distance:

 

Energy used during trip:

 

Power peak during trip:

 

Ah used during trip:

*The maximum speed on the first photo (49kph) was reached downhill, top speed on the flat without pedalling is 45kph.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “E-bike goes 45 Kph!!

  1. Well done!! What is the voltage sag vs ampere? Did you check what is the min voltage and the max ampere, so we can have an idea on how good is your 10C pack !!

    Bye
    Cris

  2. I don’t know the precise voltage sag yet. I will add some balance leads and use the cell-logs as monitors. When I did the tests those cells discharged a little over 1C were all at the same voltage at the beginning and at the end of the discharge. Voltages stayed so close! The difference was 10 millivolt or less between cells.
    Btw, on the bike, I split the pack into 3 x 5s4p packs and they were at the exact same voltage at the beginning and end of the ride. Same after recharge (I charged the 15s as whole). I did another test draining the battery pretty flat, close to 80% DOD and I get consistent results, this makes me hope for the best :).
    Anyhow, now I am adding cells so I can have more range (12Ah vs 6Ah) and stress the battery a bit less.
    Putting 1.8kw into this motor is crazy..but also extremely fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s